Friday 18 January 2013

My Favourite Combo

The other day I got a package in the mail from Ardent/Evercast reels (In Depth coming soon) and there is one combo that I haven't been able to put down since.  I've been out in the backyard casting, in the kitchen jigging it and in the living room just holding it.  It's incredibly light, yet has the cahones to bring in the biggest of bass.

That combo for me is my 7' Denali Rosewood Shakey Head rod paired with an Ardent/Evercast Forge 2000 spinning reel.  Living in Southwestern Ontario, the majority of my bass fishing is for Smallmouth Bass. It's undoubtedly my favourite fish to target.  I love dragging a tube from Angler's Choice, it's my go to bait choice when fishing for Smallies, and this combo is my tube rod combo.

Denali Rosewood Shakey Head rod paired with an Ardent/Evercast Forge 2000 spinning reel
The Denali Rosewood Shakey Head rod is a 7' rod with a medium/heavy action and a moderate/fast tip.  This is an extremely light rod that won't wear out your wrist or arm holding it all day.  The medium/heavy action allows me the backbone to easily drag a tube on a 1/4 ounce tapered jig head, yet is sensitive enough with the Rosewood foregrip to feel even the lightest of bites.  The moderate/fast tip allows me to safely pull that tube through weeds, rocks, sand, whatever you may be faced with, but has no problem setting the hook into the jaw of a porky Smallmouth.  The cork split-grip handle finishes it all off in a light, comfortable and eye-catching way.  This rod is also extremely versatile as I use it for wacky worming, shakey heads (duh), tubes and I will even use it to drag a small football head jig.  Arguably, if I could only use one rod for the rest of my life, it would be this one.

My favourite rod from Denali, the Rosewood Shakey Head

The Forge spinning reel from Ardent/Evercast is a work of art.  Just in terms of appearance, it has me hooked!  The carbon fiber pattern is eye catching, I love the foam knob - its comfortable and looks great.  The Forge 2000 has an 11+1 ball bearing system, and is frankly one of the smoothest reels I've ever laid my hands on.  It has a 5.2:1 gear ratio, a lightweight aluminum bail wire, aluminum spool and a high strength aluminum forged body.  It is specifically engineered for a smooth, silent retrieve, and that's exactly what it does.  The 2000 series has a total weight of 9.8 ounces, and it doesn't feel heavy in your hand at all.  The 2000 spool holds about 100 yards of 10 pound McCoy Braid, and I add a 6-8 foot 8 pound McCoy 100% Flourocarbon leader.

A sharp looking reel, the Forge 2000 will silently, and smoothly, put that big Smallie in your livewell
I can't wait to get out on the water and use this puppy.  In fact, I will have at least two more of this exact same combo by the end of the season, I can guarantee that.  I would highly recommend you check out both Denali Rods and Ardent Reels, who knows this might become your go-to combo as well!  What's your favourite combo?

No comments:

Post a Comment